In this current challenging business environment, employing the right individual for the organisation is crucial. Hiring the wrong individual not only have an impact on the cost of operation, but also on the morale, productivity, and efficiency of the organisation.
A critical step in employee selection is the interviewing and selection process. The Competency-based Interview and Selection Technique focuses on the applicant past actions or behaviour in relation to the competencies or skills required for the job applied. Through this method, hiring is more structured and focused; rather than based on guess-work, potential bias or discrimination.
- Understand traditional interview techniques issues
- List the difference between traditional and competency-based interview technique
- Develop questions for competency-based interview
- Conduct a competency-based interview
- Apply the selection technique after the interview
Who Should Attend
Managers, Executives & new HR Executives who have to develop the skills to ensure a professional approach to recruit and select the right candidates for the job.
Module 1: The Different Techniques in the Interviewing Approach
- The success rate of a right hire
- The various assessment approaches and tools used
Module 2: Consequences of a Wrong Hire
- Why interviewing is vital for an organisation
- Why important for you as the hiring supervisor/manager
- Impact of the cost of a wrong hire on an organisation
Module 3: Traditional vs Competency-based Interview
- Problems with traditional interviewing techniques
- Types of questioning techniques
- Key factors of competency-based interviewing
- The fair and unbiased interviewing and selection approach
Module 4: Developing Questions for Competency-Based Interviewing
- Developing question based on job competency needs
- Questioning approach
- Evaluating response
- What not to ask – Fair employment practice
Module 5: Interviewing Process
- What is required before, during and after the interview
- Selection technique based on competencies
Module 6: Practice – Interviewing Role Play
Lecture, activities and discussion
Date: 26 & 27 January 2022
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Platform: Virtually via Zoom
SHRI Members: S$650.00
(Sign up for SHRI Membership to enjoy $100 off course fee!)
(Course fee is subject to 7% GST)
Limited Seats only, sign up now to avoid disappointment!
*Grant amount indicated here does not include absentee payroll (AP) funding as this is dependent on the trainee’s hourly basic salary (other than for trainees supported by surrogate Employers, where AP is computed on flat rate independent of salary).
Desmond has extensive experience in human resources and organisational development, both in the United States and around Asia. His career journey has taken him between consulting and several senior leadership roles in talent management/ organisational development across multiple industries. He was previously the Managing Director for premier HR consulting firm and is now the Principal Consultant with Argonite Consulting & Advisory, focusing on enabling leadership success, realising organisational transformation & designing talent management frameworks.
His expertise encompasses the design and implementation of assessment and development centers, change and talent management processes, executive coaching, organisational development interventions, as well as capability building and development/ learning strategies. Desmond’s consulting experience spans across industries including pharmaceuticals, logistics, heavy industries, finance (banking and insurance), FMCG, manufacturing, shipping, information technology, oil and gas, and telecommunications.