Communicating Effectively & Strategically
The role of a HR Business Partner (HRBP) involves having regular conversations with business leaders on people matters. Given the fast-pace business environment that most if not all businesses are operating in, it is vital for the HRBP to be able to conduct these conversations strategically and be able to convey messages cross effectively in a two-way manner that not only engages the leaders to continue these conversations, but to be able to build the credibility and trust that these leaders have in HR.
This 1-day Short Course would provide participants with a strong foundation to the factors that drive and obstruct effective communication, and to be able to plan and conduct conversations strategically with business leaders. The examples and cases discussed in the course would be relevant to the business environment that a HRBP would operate in. Each participant would also takeaway a good understanding of his or her own communication style using a commonly used profile assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Understand the factors supporting and obstructing effective communication
- Apply the understanding to analyse how to ensure that effective communication can be conducted
- Understand a process on strategic communication and applying the understanding with stakeholders
- Understand own communication style and that of others so as to optimise communication between self and others
- Understand the key behaviours to be a trusted advisor with stakeholders
Effective Communication Model
- The elements of effective communication
- Factors that support and obstruct an effective communication
- Apply this model in a day-to-day interactions with internal stakeholders as a HRBP
Strategic Communication Process
- What is strategic communication?
- The 8-step process and what goes into each step
- Apply the process to a case study that is relevant to all HRBPs
Understanding Communication Styles
- The 4 different types of communication style
- What is my predominant style?
- Strengths and challenges of each style in communicating effectively and strategically
- How to optimise each style to that of the others
Becoming A Trusted Advisor
- Who is a Trusted Advisor
- The Trust Equation
- The 5 key traits of a Trusted Advisor
Delivery is made up of a combination of active learning, to maximise learning effectiveness.
The course incorporates:
- Sharing of experiences and perceptions by participants and facilitator
- Interactive discussions and use of learning materials between the participants and with the facilitator
- Participants-led group work and presentation on case studies
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
HR professionals, Senior Managers, Managers and Executives seeking to advance their skillsets in effective communication and gaining useful know-how in communicating strategically with internal stakeholders.
To help participants understand the absorption of Learning Outcome, a short assessment is given within the 1 day Short Course.
If the participant passes the short assessment; a Certificate of Completion shall be awarded by SHRI Academy Pte Ltd.
The purpose of the short assessment is to help the participants to know their SWOT and does not guarantee the success/failure in the actual IHRP Certification Assessment.
However, should the participant be unable to complete the short assessment, a Certificate of Attendance shall be awarded by SHRI Academy Pte Ltd.
Please note that the above Short Course “Communicating Effectively & Strategically” has been accredited by IHRP.
Profile of Trainer
Tham Chien Ping (CP)
MSc (I/O Psychology), PGDE (Sec), PGDip (HRM), SDip (Career Counselling), BEng (Civil), IHRP-SP, SHRM-SCP, Chartered MCIPD, CPHR (Australia and Canada), CPLP (ATD), IAF CPF, PMI-ACP, PMP
CP is a HR Leader based in Singapore with more than 10 years of combined experience in HR Business Partnering, Learning, Talent and Organisation Development locally and regionally in Asia. He has worked in various HR roles in the Singapore Civil Service, Multi-National Corporations (IT, Medical, Insurance Brokerage & Professional Services), Banking & Finance Institutions and high-growth technology-driven Start-Ups. He specialises in designing and conducting programs and solutions leveraging on various psychometric profiling tools and assessments. As a trained and certified counsellor and coach, CP has designed and led many initiatives and strategies in progressive HR practices to enhance and strengthen employee relationship and engagement.
From time to time CP provides his expertise to the Singapore HR Institute as their Adjunct Lecturer for some of their academic programs and also as Senior Associate Consultant focusing on enhancing the HR practice in Small & Medium Enterprise in Singapore by providing advisory and consultancy services. He is also active with many HR professional bodies as an accredited senior HR professional, namely IHRP (Singapore), CIPD (UK), AHRI (Australia), SHRM (US) and CPHR YK&BC (Canada).
CP holds a Master of Science in Industrial & Organisational Psychology from Baruch College, City University of New York. He graduated from NUS School of Engineering with a Bachelor’s degree, and had successfully completed various post-graduate and specialist diploma programs in Education with the National Institute of Education, Career Counselling with Republic Polytechnic and HR Management with Singapore HR Institute, all based in Singapore. He is currently on a MBA Program with Strathclyde Business School and is expected to graduate in 2019.
|2nd Intake||20 November 2019, Wednesday|
Time: 10am to 6pm (Registration commences at 9:30am)
Venue: SHRI Academy, 10 Eunos Road 8, Singapore Post Centre #13-07, Singapore 408600
$428.00 (Inclusive of GST)
* Funding subject to approval
For more information on UTAP funding Contact Ms Lynn: +65 64223785 or email@example.com
- All course registrations are subject to our terms and conditions, please click here to view. Course fees are subject to the prevailing GST charge. All information is correct at the time of publication. SHRI Academy reserves the right to amend any of the above information if necessary.
- Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP) Funding
NTUC members enjoy UTAP* benefit of up to $200 each year when you sign up for the 1-day Short Course.
* UTAP supports 50% of the course fees paid cap at $200 per year. Trainee must be a union member throughout the course duration and at the time of claim. Trainee must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and have sat for all prescribed assessment. Other terms and conditions apply.
- For more information, please click click here.
For further information, please contact:
Ms. Lynn Koo | Tel: 64380012 | DID: 64223785 | email firstname.lastname@example.org or: email@example.com